I'm not sure that I follow you here, Frederik. If the "lower" sciences provide
data for the "higher" ones, how can they fail to function as tests for the
"higher" ones? I'm not talking about conclusive tests, of course. Surely
there's plenty of mediation by auxiliary hypotheses, and so one could maintain
claims from the "higher" sciences even if they seem to conflict with results
from the "lower" ones. More importantly, it can be very difficult to get the
lower-level data to bear on higher-level claims.  But I think Ben's earlier
post nicely brought out Peirce's challenge to himself and to other logicians to
find ways to do just that, and that certainly sounds like testing to me.
Perhaps Peirce's ordering of the sciences has the consequence that an idealized
intellect would not need lower-level data in order to test higher-level claims,
but we're not such intellects, and I share Ben's sense that Peirce felt
significant doubt about some of his logical claims in the absence of
lower-level confirmation of those claims.(I leave as an aside for now the
interesting questions this raises about the notion of a "positive reason" for
doubting; I find this notion intriguing and unclear myself.)  I don't think
that your example of mathematics is persuasive, since the gap between
mathematics and positive sciences seems to me different in kind than that
between "higher" and "lower" sciences of positive fact. But I might just be
misunderstanding you. Do you perhaps want to deny that the special sciences
actually provide data for logic? One might think that all of the relevant data
is cenoscopic rather than idioscopic? I think that fits some of the most
important cases well; Peirce wasn't talking about the special science of
psychology when he talked about tracing the pragmatic maxim back to
"psychological" claims like the ones in "Fixation" connecting belief and
action. He was talking about cenoscopic psychology, not idioscopic. But you
seem in your message below to permit logical sciences to learn from special
sciences and to have their claims confirmed by results in special sciences. And
it seems to me that there's no confirmation w/o the possibility of
disconfirmation, and again that sounds like testing. As we now approach the
heart of your book, I'll understand if you're too busy to reply, but I'll be
interested to get some clarification from you if you get a chance.

Best to all,

Jeff K.