Jon, I too find more continuity than discontinuity in the development of
Peirce's thought. However, I don't think that following that development in
chronological order is the easiest or best way to understand his "truly radical
ideas". My experience has been that we can clearly see the roots of those ideas
in his early work (1865-70) only after we've become well acquainted with his
later work (such as the contents of EP2). For instance, I would never recommend
to a beginner in Peirce that they start with the 1867 "New List of Categories",
because that paper is far more difficult to follow than almost anything in EP2.
That's why I've recommended Peirce's "New Elements" (1904) as the best
companion text to Chapter 3 of NP. For one thing, it serves as a better
introduction to Peirce's concept of Information = Comprehension × Extension
than Peirce's 1867 paper on the subject, important as that is.

Personally I'm reluctant to spend much time studying Peirce's algebraic
formulations of logic because, when I do so, I feel afterwards that I've
learned a new notation but nothing about logic that I didn't already know; and
that's also been my experience with translations of Peirce's early notation
into the more prevalent notational conventions of our time. For someone well
versed in those conventions, your work is a good pathway to Peirce, I think,
but lacking any training in mathematical logic myself, it seems to be a long
and roundabout path for the likes of me. I find NP itself to be much more
direct. Or at least more concise.

gary f.