> On Sep 23, 2014, at 4:04 PM, Jeffrey Brian Downard <jeffrey.down...@nau.edu
> <mailto:jeffrey.down...@nau.edu>> wrote:
>
> So, I'd like to ask, what are the key data that a logical theory should draw
> on for the purposes of generating and testing hypotheses about real the
> nature of the dicisign?  How might we analyze those data for the sake of
> clarifying what needs to be explained?  How might we correct for errors that
> might have been made in the collection of those data?

While not truly an answer to your question, I think it would be interesting to
place Peirce’s conception of the decisign in many classic functional uses of
“proposition” to see if it works, where the problems are, and what new fruitful
phenomena we might find. I think Frederik has done this somewhat in the
chapters I’ve read thus far.

I think the most fruitful use of decisign over traditional propositions is how
non-linguistic propositions work. The example of a photograph is a great
example that’s discussed in the chapter. I think the place of indices is a key
value of Peirce and also frequently a place where many uses of propositions
fail due to their being tied to judgments in a fashion that seems to go against
most use. I’m not suggesting a linguistic turn here when I discuss use. Just
that the debate about propositions does have a history and that history
suggests aim, targets and functions for the term. It’s useful to analyze that
genealogy when considering decisigns.