From: Clark Goble [mailto:cl...@lextek.com]
Sent: 24-Sep-14 1:18 PM
To: Peirce List
Subject: Re: [biosemiotics:6973] RE: [PEIRCE-L] RE: Natural Propositions,
Chapter 3.1

One other brief thought.

Something I’ve not seen discussed much in the literature is the relationship
between mathematics and propositions. (This may just because admittedly I’ve
not sought out such discussions) Propositions are usually taken as linguistic
with fairly strict boundaries on what counts as language. Now clearly Peirce’s
dicisigns can handle equations and other meanings written via highly symbolic
notation or even graphs. Traditional philosophy would need at best these to be
translated into language first I think.

I’d think we also fall into the question of mathematical foundations as well.
Those who see mathematics as pure syntactical manipulation probably are fine
with there being no propositions for math. Those who see more meaning in math
probably need to deal with this. (Whether platonists or otherwise)