Clark, list,

Sowa's note was forwarded to peirce-l by Gary Richmond as a comment on Anellis's earlier peirce-l post on April 30, 2006 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/709 which said the following:

   [Quote Anellis]
   I had earlier noted that, in going back to Herrlich & Strecker's
   _Category Theory_, I was reminded that category theory permits
   comparison of classes of any abstract mathematical structures with
   any other class of abstract mathematical structure, e.g. the class
   of  all groups and their homomorphisms with the class of all
   topological spaces and their continuous functions, and the
   comparison of these with other classes of structured sets and
   structure-preserving functions. A _/category/_ is the class of all
   members of some kind of abstract mathematical entity (sets, groups,
   rings, fields topological spaces, etc.) and all the functions that
   hold between the class  mathematical entity or structure being studied.

   Whether this has any implications or significance for philosophers
   -- other than perhaps philosophers of mathematics, I suggest that it
   can be understood as a further development of Felix Klein's effort
   in the Erlanger Programme to classify geometries according to their
   algebraic groups, and CSP's contemporaneous work, in the appendix to
   his father's work on Linear Nonassociative Algebra, to classify
   those algebras in terms of his algebra of relatives, and followed by
   Whitehead's efforts in the _Treatise on Universal Algebra_ at the
   end of the nineteenth century, to bring together Boolean algebra,
   linear and multilinear algebras, and Hermann Grassmann's
   Ausdehnungslehre into a unified system. (It may not be amiss to
   remind everyone that Whitehead's initial conception of the
   _Principia Mathematica_ when he first joined forces with Russell to
   write the latter, was as a second volume to his _Treatise_.) It is
   also true that a number of mathematicians have seriously considered
   using, and begun to develop, category theory as a foundation of
   mathematics more felicitous than the discarded logicism of Frege,
   Dedekind, and the Russell of the _Principles of Mathematics_ and the
   _Principia_.

   Irving H. Anellis
   [End quote]