(Sorry if the figure gets distorted.)

Clark quoted Sowa as having said that

"There are other developments, such as DNA and Heisenberg's        (100314-1)
uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, which are much
closer to themes that Peirce had discussed.  Those could be
considered support for his positions, but I'd put category
theory into an area that is compatible with Peirce's views,
but not directly supportive of anything he said in particular."

I wonder if Sowa read the following quote of Peirce
(http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/rsources/76DEFS/76defs.HTM), which clearly
indicates to me that the Peircean sign is a mathematical category which I
often represent as:

             f                 g
    Object ------ >   Sign -------> Interpretent
      |                                  ^
      |                                  |
      |__________________________________|

where the three structure-preserving mappings, f, g and h corresponds to
the relations Þ, µ the following quote from Peirce. with the third mapping
missing (as far as I can tell):

Peirce wrote:

"A "sign" is anything, A, which,

(1) in addition to other characters of its own,

(2) stands in a dyadic relation Þ, to a purely active correlate, B,

(3) and is also in a triadic relation to B for a purely passive correlate,
C, this triadic relation being such as to determine C to be in a dyadic
relation, µ, to B, the relation µ corresponding in a recognized way to the
relation Þ."

With all the best.

Sung
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701