Edwina, John, lists,

I have tended to strongly agree with John in this matter, principally
because of this and similar passages.

A Sign, or Representamen, is a First which stands in such a genuine triadic
relation to a Second, called its Object, as to be capable of determining a
Third, called its Interpretant, to assume the same triadic relation to its
Object in which it stands itself to the same Object. The triadic relation
is genuine, that is its three members are bound together by it in a way
that does not consist in any complexus of dyadic relations. That is the
reason the Interpretant, or Third, cannot stand in a mere dyadic relation
to the Object, but must stand in such a relation to it as the Representamen
itself does. 2.274

As I see it, the 'three relation' (to the sign itself, its object, its
interpretent) are for the purposes of analysis only because "*the triadic
relation* is genuine" such that "its three members are bound together by it
in a way that* does not consist of any complexus of dyadic relations*."

So my question is, Edwina, how do you interpretent 2.274?

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*