  From: Gary Fuhrman
  To: biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee ; 'Peirce-L'
  Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:24 PM
  Subject: [biosemiotics:7762] Re: Peirce categories

  Peirce, CP 8.335:

  In respect to their relations to their dynamic objects, I divide signs into
Icons, Indices, and Symbols (a division I gave in 1867). I define an Icon as a
sign which is determined by its dynamic object by virtue of its own internal
nature. Such is any qualisign, like a vision, - or the sentiment excited by a
piece of music considered as representing what the composer intended. Such may
be a sinsign, like an individual diagram; say a curve of the distribution of
errors. I define an Index as a sign determined by its dynamic object by virtue
of being in a real relation to it. Such is a Proper Name (a legisign); such is
the occurrence of a symptom of a disease. (The symptom itself is a legisign, a
general type of a definite character. The occurrence in a particular case is a
sinsign.) I define a Symbol as a sign which is determined by its dynamic object
only in the sense that it will be so interpreted. It thus depends either upon a
convention, a habit, or a natural disposition of its interpretant or of the
field of its interpretant (that of which the interpretant is a determination).
Every symbol is necessarily a legisign; for it is inaccurate to call a replica
of a legisign a symbol.