Gary R - I think we've been through this discussion before as well.

As I said, I consider that the triadic Sign (capital S) is a complex and
irreducible triad of three Relations. I've listed them: Repre-Obj; Rep in
itself; Rep-Interpretant.  Notice the pivotal role of the Representamen! It's
the foundation of all three Relations - but- neither the Object nor the
Interpretant are reducible to the  Reprsentamen. The reason for the three
Relations is that each one can be in a different categorical mode. (I'm
repeating myself)

The quote that you provide, Gary, is interpreted differently by you and me. You
understand the term 'First' to mean in the categorical mode of Firstness,
whereas I understand it to mean that the existential unit (let's say, a cell)
which is already a triadic Sign, picks up incoming stimuli via its
Representamen-Object Relation. That's what FIRST happens. Then, SECOND, it
mediates this input data of the Object within the habits of the
Representamen...and passes that for further 'fine-tuning' via the various
Interpretants (Third step).

Obviously, none of this triadic process operates within dyads. Where do you
come up with any sense that I support dyadic relations? I've consistently
rejected such - and it's weird, but people keep saying that I support dyads!
Weird.

And I fully agree with the last sentence - Peirce says it perfectly - "That is
the reason the Interpretant, or Third, cannot stand in a mere dyadic relation
to the Object, but must stand in such a relation to it as the Representamen
itself does. 2.274"

After all - a dyadic relation of the Interpretant to the Object - is Saussurian
and mechanical and utterly ignores the vital mediative and evolutionary role of
the Representamen, or the 'habits of formation'.

I note that you, in this post, refer to 'three relation' (singular) while in
other posts, you have referred to relationS (plural). Ah well.

Edwina