List,

Some may remember my attempts to outline, as forming a system, such heuristic aspects, given by conclusions to premisses, as an abductive inference's natural simplicity, an induction's verisimilitude, an attenuative deduction's new aspect, and an equipollential deduction's nontriviality.

I've hit upon something that strikes a novel (to me) but also Peircean note, involving the idea of Firstness, so I thought I'd pass it along.

For a long time I was careful to distinguish between surprise (of an anomaly) and bewilderment at excessive complexity or complication. Peirce usually mentions surprise as the occasion of inquiry in general and of abductive inference in particular, but occasionally mentions complication as such occasion. Now, the idea of abductive inference's natural simplicity seems more a response to complication than to anomaly or surprise. I won't belabor that appearance, but will just say that I wondered what appearance or feeling (akin to puzzlement, but not puzzlement) would be the occasion of a chiefly inductive inquiry, or of an inductive inference in the course of inquiry. Then it finally dawned on me that I was paying too much attention to the temporal mode of the feeling (overturning of expectation versus overturning of supposition) and not enough to the overturning, the conflict. What occasions induction (besides an occasioning inquiry) is not a conflict (a secundan thing), a cognitive dissonance, but a sense of something _/arbitrary/_, gratuitous, spontaneous, unnecessary though possible, which, in Peircean terms, means a whiff of Firstness (see Peirce's "Quale-Consciousness" for example).

If one has a sample from a population about which one had no particular expectations, then any definite result is bound to seem arbitrary, arbitrarily one-sided, to seem like some things that one has seen and unlike other things (unless one supposes some Bayesian priors in the absence of evidence, which isn't a Peircean approach anyway). While the occasion of abductive inference seems surprising, contrarian, so to speak, the occasion of induction seems partisan, it just takes sides. This arbitrary character, while not surprising or perplexing, is still, let's say, striking. From a non-Bayesian viewpoint, if one knew in advance that that the population consists of reds and greens, and if one found in the sample a 50-50 distribution of red and green, that would still seem arbitrary. How does one 'explain' it or account for it? One induces that the total population has a 50-50 distribution of red and green; if true, then the sample's distribution is _/not so arbitrary/_. I am unsure what emotional response to associate with such arbitrariness. It may involve a sense of being detoured, skewed, diverted, interested, something like that.

Best, Ben