Dear Ben Novak,

On the one hand, in calling attention to surprise and perplexity as the occasion of abductive inference (as opposed to deductive and inductive inference), Peirce is talking about a generic necessary condition which the general character of abduction reflects in being a response to that condition. The surprise, the violation of accepted explanation or the unexpected lack of explanation, leads one to needing to think a bit outside the box, bring into the mix an idea new to the case; that's abductive inference.

On the other hand, as your police example points out, surprise, - or, in the phenomenon itself, anomalousness, complication, etc., - was not generally a sufficient condition for pursuing the abductive trail when Peirce wrote, any more than it is today. In any actual society and any actual mind, there needs to be some motivated curiosity, and the social and psychological conditions can certainly vary in their hospitality to focused abductive thinking and methods of follow-up. Peirce of course would have been interested in all that, though it would take more a inspirational or exemplificative role than a dispositive role in his _/philosophy/_ of how one _/ought/_ to think. One needs to be not too trapped in inquiry methods of tenacity, authority, or the a priori (or, as I would generalize them, the method of willful belief, the method of contest and ascendancy, and the method of wishful belief, as well as a method of belief in reaction to others' beliefs - contrarianism, partisanism, and so on), and the dominance of such a method could mark an age, an intellectual age at least. To pursue an abductive trail, one needs to be not too busy with other things, as you say, even if one knows enough to be surprised by the phenomenon; the means need to be not too arduous; and one needs the 'means' that consists in having some notion of how to apply to the case the method of learning from experience, observation, experiment, etc. There need to be means, motive, and opportunity (even if the motive is a general devotion to some research questions). The police and others in the old days did not familiarize themselves with the kinds of evidence that would provide them with illuminative surprises, and the methods of thinking and investigating were correspondingly poor (which is not to say that they're perfect today). Yet some people, especially the kind who stick their noses into everybody's business, surely did (as one sees some doing today) abduce a lot about the people whom they know - relatives, neighbors, co-workers, and even keep an eye out for evidence that would affect their surmises. Such a busybody's mind is a novel (somebody once said to me "His mind is a novel," which struck me as one of the great remarks), the kind of novel that's full of intrigue. But it's not a work of deep imagination, it's the busybody's diary, a slice-of-life tell-all somewhat mixed with fancies, the daily soap opera. A power-seeker may thrive on, indeed revel in, being such a busybody (as the remark's subject did, in his way); and the power gained also helps such a person to be a bigger busybody. Well, of course; knowledge is power. I guess that a person whose own personality is a kind of blank or has some sort of emptiness or precisely a shallowness of imagination might be obsessed with filling his or her mind with other people and all their furniture too. Continually monitoring them. Well, it could be good, evil, indifferent, etc. I'm thinking of some of the themes in your thesis.

Getting back to how I started this thread, not that I think that we need to keep revisiting it, I still can't think of an emotion specific to the arbitrary (Priman, in Peircean terms) appearance (as opposed to the conflicting appearance), other than the ones that I mentioned. On the occasion of attenuative deduction, I'd add that a contingent statement regarded as false is what seems excluded, insular, "cryptic," barren of sound conclusions, but when it's reevaluated as true, one may be caught in a twilight zone where it still seems excluded yet there it is (and maybe something else needs to be excluded), and that's where somewhat of a feeling of impatience or suspense about the ramifications comes in. I like the idea of attenuative deduction as typically resulting like a recalculation from an update of input, but the idea seems bit "out there" and seems to lead to some problems.

Best, Ben