Hi Ben, List,

I meant to send the following response to the full List, and not solely to Ben.

What kind of analysis should we give for the phenomena associated with the
kinds of surprise (e.g., wonder, bewilderment, failure of the world to meet my
expectations for order or lack thereof, etc.) that seem to call out for an
abductive or inductive inference?  Here is one place in the Collected Papers
where Peirce makes a distinction between the passive and the active aspects of
surprise.  He characterizes the qualities of the feelings of surprise as having
a more passive character, and then the characterizes the experience of
resistance to will has having a more active character.  This fits nicely with
the general line of analysis that he gives of these material elements of our
common experience.

Here is the passage:

8.315. [April 1, 1909] . . . let me give a little fuller explanation of my
distinction between the Immediate, the Dynamical, and the Final Interpretants.
. . The Dynamical Interpretant is whatever interpretation any mind actually
makes of a sign. This Interpretant derives its character from the Dyadic
category, the category of Action. This has two aspects, the Active and the
Passive, which are not merely opposite aspects but make relative contrasts
between different influences of this Category as More Active and More Passive.
In psychology this category marks Molition in its active aspect of a force and
its passive aspect as a resistance. When an imagination, a day-dream fires a
young man's ambition or any other active passion, that is a more Active variety
of his Dynamical Interpretation of the dream. When a novelty excites his
surprise, -- and the scepticism that goes along with surprise, -- this is a
more Passive variety of Dynamical Interpretant. I am not speaking of the
feelings of passion or of surprise as qualities. For those qualities are no
part of the dynamic Interpretant. But the agitations of passion and of surprise
are the actual dynamic Interpretants. So surprise again has its Active and its
Passive variety; -- the former when what one perceives positively conflicts
with expectation, the latter when having no positive expectation but only the
absence of any suspicion of anything out of the common something quite
unexpected occurs, -- such as a total eclipse of the sun which one had not
anticipated. Any surprise involves a resistance to accepting the fact. One rubs
one's eyes, as Shaler used to do, determined not to admit the observation until
it is plain one will be compelled to do so. Thus every actual interpretation is
dyadic . . . . [As] pragmaticism says . . . (one part of pragmaticism, for
Pragmaticism is not exclusively an opinion about the Dynamic Interpretant), . .
. it says, for one thing, that the meaning of any sign for anybody consists in
the way he reacts to the sign. When the captain of infantry gives the word
"Ground arms!" the dynamic Interpretant is in the thump of the muskets on the
ground, or rather it is the Act of their Minds. In its Active/Passive forms,
the Dynamical Interpretant indefinitely approaches the character of the
Final/Immediate Interpretant; and yet the distinction is absolute. The Final
Interpretant does not consist in the way in which any mind does act but in the
way in which every mind would act. That is, it consists in a truth which might
be expressed in a conditional proposition of this type: "If so and so were to
happen to any mind this sign would determine that mind to such and such
conduct." By "conduct" I mean action under an intention of self-control. No
event that occurs to any mind, no action of any mind can constitute the truth
of that conditional proposition. The Immediate Interpretant consists in the
Quality of the Impression that a sign is fit to produce, not to any actual
reaction. Thus the Immediate and Final Interpretants seem to me absolutely
distinct from the Dynamical Interpretant and from each other. And if there be
any fourth kind of Interpretant on the same footing as those three, there must
be a dreadful rupture of my mental retina, for I can't see it at all.

Would it help to characterize the phenomena you are trying to describe in these
terms?  If we do characterize it in these terms, will we be missing something
that calls out for our attention, or will the analysis be sufficient?

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy