Clark, Edwina, Stephen, List,
I do not see, that there is an either-or, regarding memes and rational beliefs, or diffusion versus narratives, or subconscious versus conscious structure-elements. I think, that there is both, and that it always is good to make the subconscious conscious, that is, to uncover memes to see where they come from. Many of them are myths, that is lies- and these lies may have been told deliberately, or they may have come up by a social systems own dynamics, as any system intends to reinforce itself. Anyway, to make the subconscious conscious is the way of psychoanalysis, and I do not see, what is so wrong about it, fundamentally. Of course, it is bad to have a wrong analysis, and Freud probably was wrong in many places (eg., that a child is polymorph-pervert). But I think, it is very good to replace a diffusion with a narrative- if the narrative is telling the truth, and if this can be made sure. Can it? By scientific method?
Best,
Helmut

"Clark Goble" <cl...@lextek.com>