Clark, List ~
I believe your discomfort arises from the fact that at the frontiers of
knowledge (in any discipline), logical abduction tips over into speculation
when objects do not have Pragmatic interpretants, and are replaced by
nominalistic black-box mechanisms whose true properties are unknown.  That
leaves each "thinker" free to assign "reasonable" properties to the mechanism,
and to challenge others for doing the same -- except when they happen to agree.

This happens in all disciplines, as when physicists stalled out on gravity,
then conceived of a new "graviton" particle emitted by atoms to explain it.
They've never seen a graviton, but "it must be there."  (They stay busy
exploring the inside of their black box by smashing atoms in
rarefied/unrealistic environments.)

Back to logic.  Like other humans, I simultaneously carry on logic at various
levels:  I walk down the street, look at the scenery, talk with a friend, worry
about an argument I had with a family member and mull over a project I'm
working on -- while carrying on numerous autonomous activities such as
digestion, breathing, etc.  Each of these is a logical activity.  Some logic
concerns our survival, some concerns our emotions, and most focuses on
practical matters of lesser importance/urgency.  Some logic is hard-wired into
our DNA (instincts), other logic is based on experience/habit, and some is the
product of on-the-fly cognition in the face of new circumstances.  All logic
requires energy to carry out, and all logic that concludes with a decision to
act requires energy, too.  Therefore, optimizing behavior requires an even
higher form of logic to mediate/coordinate the competing demands for energy
ordered up by the various logical mechanisms.  Our colleague Edwina has written
about this mediating function before.

If someone claims that plants can/do communicate with each other, we would
expect them to connect all of the logical dots in that story -- the physical
components of plants that permits them to broadcast and receive signals, the
nature of the electrochemical signals, factors in the environment that affect
signaling, etc.  If logic occurs in plants, we would insist, show us exactly
how it operates.

Yet, when we speak of human abduction, induction, deduction, interpretants,
signs, etc ... well, that black-box discussion contains no actual body parts,
there are no alternative types of logic taking place at the same time,
data/information is costless, the product of one logical exercise is of the
same nature and value as all others, etc.  In short, our logical black box is
chiefly filled with definitions and unrealistic/simplifying assumptions.  When
those clash from one discussant to the next, each argues to the reasonableness
of his/her definitions and assumptions -- but (genuine) empirical evidence is
seldom offered.  Therefore, the debates are seldom/never resolved.

Focusing solely on human cognition, then, here is my first Pragmatic question
about semiotic logic:  If an object has interpretants, WHERE do those
(object+interpretants) reside in the brain, and WHAT links them together?  Pick
any object at all.  If we can't conceive of the way that even one object and
its interpretants exist in physical reality, then we cannot demonstrate
empirically that human cognition (the physical brain) actually employs semiotic
logic.  This is an empirical matter; we have already asserted/predicted that
the physical brain (cognition) makes use of objects and interpretants.

That is only the first step.  Every other aspect of semiotic logic must have
some physical/empirical counterpart, too, where logic is carried out, mediated
and used to direct activity.

I do believe that human cognition employs semiotic logic, but belief without an
operational mechanism means that our views belong in the nominalist, black-box
category.  It is inconsistent to believe that a physical brain
evolved/optimized to carry out Pragmatic logic does so in a way divorced from
physical reality.

Once the physical nature of logic is addressed, other debates/discussions
associated with black-box thinking will either fall by the wayside (empirical
rejection) or be resolved through clarification.  Among these, I include the
recent discussion of knowing-how-to-be vs. DNA, language as constructed vs.
instinct, different types of abduction, circumstances conducive to induction,
etc.  Those earlier views are not wrong, so much as they do not lead to a
deeper understanding.

I hope this illuminates my first paragraph above, and explains why I believe a
new paradigm is required to proceed.  I have learned a few things about brain
research by watching TED Talks at TED.com.

Regards,
Tom Wyrick