CP 8.305: "I shall show that a Concept is a Sign and shall define a Sign and show its triadic form."

6.344: "Signs, the only things with which a human being can, without derogation, consent to have any transaction, being a sign himself, are triadic; since a sign denotes a subject, and signifies a form of fact, which latter it brings into connexion with the former."

Matt

On 11/26/15 12:49 AM, John Collier wrote:

I don’t have quotes handy, but I am pretty sure that Peirce uses “sign” in both ways. This caused me some problems in the past in applying his ideas to biosemiotics and other non-mental phenomena until I realized he was using the term in more than one way. I think if one is careful about the context it is possible to select which usage Peirce makes in each case.

John Collier

Professor Emeritus, UKZN

http://web.ncf.ca/collier

*From:*g...@gnusystems.ca [mailto:g...@gnusystems.ca]
*Sent:* Thursday, 26 November 2015 4:14 AM
*To:* 'PEIRCE-L'
*Subject:* RE: [PEIRCE-L] signs, correlates and triadic relations

Yes, Peirce says that “meaning is a triadic relation.” But /meaning/ is not /a sign/. Edwina, you say that a */sign/* is a triadic relation, or a “triad,” while Peirce says that a sign is “a /correlate/ of a triadic relation.” Do you really not see the difference?

Likewise with reference to CP 1.540, you don’t acknowledge the difference between /representation/ and a /representamen/. It might help if you quoted Peirce’s whole sentence, and the one following it:

[[ In the first place, as to my terminology, I confine the word /representation/ to the operation of a sign or its /relation/ to the object /for/ the interpreter of the representation. The concrete subject that represents I call a /sign/ or a /representamen/. ]]

Once again, Peirce says that /representation/ is a triadic relation – and that a sign, or representamen, is the /correlate/ of the relation that represents the object for the interpretant.

You still have not cited a single quote where Peirce says that a *sign* is either a “triadic relation” or a “triad.” No amount of repeated recapitulation on your part can conceal that fact, or the obvious inference from it, that Peirce simply does not use the word “sign” that way.

Gary f.