> On Mar 10, 2016, at 12:14 PM, Jerry Rhee <jerryr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To me, we are talking about whether Feyerabend or Peirce can offer a definite
> suggestion on how to proceed if we are frozen with respect to advancing on a
> problem.  To say there’s no systematic way to proceed is antithetical to
> Peirce, who offers abduction, a very definite formalism that asks you to be
> explicit about three things, the icon (C), index (A) and symbol (B) and to
> consider them in relation according to CP 5.189.

I’m not sure those are as antithetical as people are presenting them. Peirce
here is extremely vague and Feyerabend is being intentionally provocative to
get people to look past the biases that had arisen in thinking about science.
What Peirce presents is far less a method than a set of concerns to keep in
mind as one approaches the problem. It’s far from a systematic approach IMO.
Whereas I’m far from convinced Feyerabend would dispute we need focus on the
things Peirce brings up. (Perhaps that’s because I don’t know as much
Feyerabend as the rest of you probably do though - when I read him though he
always just seems to be engaging in a bit of hyperbole to get people to
question their biases)

> The possibilities are simply too numerous.

This is why I think talking about these things in this fashion is ultimately
unhelpful. Science has its biases towards things like beauty and simplicity.
But of course what is important in science is a while lot of people each with
somewhat different biases and a bias towards what works. Yet in general, if
only because of background training, there are also a slew of issues they keep
in mind that often are in tension with each other.