Thanks for that John.  Very well explained.

I realize this might be putting a can of soda next to the most expensive
wine but why phi spiral and not M51?  What part does collateral knowledge
play in interpretation?  I can say that the question really doesn't matter
because it will not affect the actual experiments one executes but as for
the consequences of what phi spiral instead of M51 means, that is a lot.
It affects who pays attention. Philosophers and crystallographers, for
instance...and psychologists and educators...

Watson's recognition of the double helix is clearly described in his book.
He makes a big deal of it.  It was a recognition that Franklin did not
possess.  The discovery of the double helix led to a HUGE transformation in
science.  If you don't hold this to be a Kuhnian paradigm, I'm not sure
what qualifies.

Relativity, I can't speak on.  Way over my head, so I will trust what you
say.

Best,
Jerry R