Gary R., List:

Thank you for taking the time to provide a very thorough explanation of
your position.  There is much to ponder, but for now I just want to offer a
few initial comments.

GR:  So, as I see it, this is the path of one of the patterns of inference,
namely, abduction. In this variation of the bean example, I will *presume* that
all the beans from this bag are white *because* I see a handfull of white
beans lying near that bag, and so I suppose that a sampling of the bag will
show them *possibly* to be white.

This makes it seem like the hypothesis is the Rule, but in CP 2.623, the
hypothesis is the Case.  In other words, your description here sounds to me
more like induction than abduction.  That these beans are white is an
observed fact (Secondness), not a mere possibility (Firstness).  That all
beans from this bag are white is a known law (Thirdness), not a mere
supposition (Firstness); per EP 2.441, it corresponds to the circumstances
of the surprising fact's occurrence.  The only conjecture (Firstness) is
that these beans are (plausibly) from this bag.  Hence 2ns/3ns/1ns,
consistent with the sequence in CP 5.189.

I guess a question in my mind now is whether Rule, Case, and Result have to
be assigned to the same category for all three inference forms.  In
deduction, the Case is the observed fact, rather than the Result; but the
Result is not a conjecture, it follows necessarily from the Rule and Case.
In induction, both the Case and the Result are observed facts.  I wonder if
I am simply looking at all of this from a different perspective than your
"vectorial" analysis--which, by the way, I value greatly for having helped
me sort out my concept of the "logic of ingenuity" in engineering
(1ns/3ns/2ns).