Jon, List,

You wrote: "how the three forms of inference themselves are presented in CP
2.623.  That text seems to indicate that ANY reasoning process that
concludes with a Rule is (by definition) induction."

That is true. So, for all 3 inference patterns:

Result, 1ns
|> Rule, 3ns
Case, 2ns

*Induction*:

2nd, 1ns, All these beans from the sample are white;
|> (End) 3ns, All the beans from this bag are *probably* white.
(Begin) 1st, 2ns, This large sample of beans is from this bag.

Abduction in the bean example (including my diagram)  does *not* end with a
rule, but rather *begins* with a rule, whether it's one already known (a
strict reading of 2.623) or, in my variation or extrapolation from that,
one which is retroduced.

So for abduction ("hypothesis" in the bean example) one begins with a rule
(just as one does with deduction, but now moving vectorially in the
opposite direction):

First, the strict reading if hypothesis (as given in 2.623).

*Hypothesis (*from a rule already known):

**2nd, 1ns: This handful of beans I find on the table are white:
|> *(Begin), 3ns: All the beans in this bag are white,
***(End), 2ns: These beans are *possibly* from this bag.

Now, I've tried to extrapolate to another kind of hypothesis than this
'sleuthing' type; in this second situation one does *not *already know for
certain that the rule is that all the beans in the bag are white, but
guesses (retroduces?) that that may *possibly* be the rule. So my variation.

*Hypothesis (*from a new rule I guess to be true):

**2nd, 1ns: *Because* I find a handful of white beans next ot it:
|> (Start)*1st, 3ns: I think this bag of beans may all be white,
(End)*** 3rd, 2ns: *But *I will have to examine (sample) the entire bag to
see if all are indeed white and that what I thought was *possibly *the
case is actually the case (that my hypothesis is true).

I mentioned in my original post that I might find that all the beans in the
bag are actually black, and that my hypotheses was wrong (and, as Ben
noted, most are). Then I'll have to come up with another hypothesis, say
that the bag of white beans was removed for some reason.

OK, admittedly this is stretching the bean example. But unless you are
reading my diagrams incorrectly, in both versions one begins at the rule
and ends at the case.

This is exactly how I described my variation in the first long post in this
thread. I wrote:

In
​*. . . *
my abductive variation o
​f
 the bean example
​,​
 one needs in a
​n important​
 way to see all three
​phases
 all-at-once-together (as Matthias Alexander might have put it
​; or as Ben Udell recently wrote, "you have to look at the inference as a
whole"​
), so that I*presume* a rule (3ns) is in effect,
​that is, ​
that all the beans in this bag are white, *because* I see a handful of
white (1ns) beans
​nearby which
I imagine to *possibly* be from that bag *were* a sample (2ns) to be taken.
​[​
As a further step in my inquiry, I
​might ​
take that sample and find that all the beans are
​, in fact, not white but​
 black
​.
 I now look for another explanation and
​discover
 that some of the bags of beans were earlier removed including the one with
all white beans
​; in this case my hypothesis turned out to be incorrect​
.
]

So, again, and as I remarked in another thread, in the bean example
*both *deduction
and abduction commence with a rule, while induction concludes with a rule.

The Result is a character sampled for.
|> Rule de-/abduction begin @ & induction ends @ a Rule.
Case (a sample) induction begins here

Best,