Gary R., List:

I do not believe that we are talking past each other, just sharing thoughts
from our different perspectives.

I acknowledge that CP 2.623 presents the Rule as the first premiss of both
Deduction and Hypothesis.  However, does Peirce say anything there--or
anywhere else, for that matter--to indicate that this is the only "correct"
or "proper" sequence?  On the contrary, that whole section on the three
forms of inference begins in CP 2.619 with a different example of deduction.

Enoch and Elijah were men, all men die;
Hence, Enoch and Elijah must have died.

Here the order is Case/Rule/Result, as confirmed by how Peirce assigns
these labels to the three propositions in CP 2.620, even though he there
presents the Rule first.

*Barbara*, is, in fact, nothing but the application of a rule.  The
so-called major premiss lays down this rule; as, for example, *All men are
mortal*.  The other or minor premiss states a case under the rule; as, *Enoch
was a man*.  The conclusion applies the rule to the case and states the
result:  *Enoch is mortal*.  All deduction is of this character; it is
merely the application of general rules to particular cases.

Then Peirce gives yet another example.

All quadrangles are figures,
But no triangle is a quadrangle;
Therefore, some figures are not triangles.

But here the reasoning is really this:

*Rule.*--Every quadrangle is other than a triangle.
*Case.*--Some figures are quadrangles.
*Result.*--Some figures are not triangles.

These two arguments are logically equivalent, and although the
"translation" is given as Rule/Case/Result, the original is given as
Case/Rule/Result.  In other words, as I have said before, the order of the
two premisses is irrelevant to the underlying logic.

Now, note Peirce's statement after the Enoch example that the Rule is
general (Thirdness) and the Case is particular (Secondness).  If we
then attribute Firstness to the conclusion, the deductive vector is either
3ns/2ns/1ns (as you advocate) or 2ns/3ns/1ns--which, interestingly, is the
same as what I have been suggesting as the abductive vector based on CP
5.189.  The difference is that the Case and Result switch places, and thus
they also switch categories; hence why I wondered earlier if there is a
good reason why the three propositions must (or at least should) be
assigned to the same categories for all three inference types.

As for CP 2.624, my reading of the text is that "the supposition" is
not the Rule itself, but rather "that the [curious circumstance] was a case
of a certain general rule."  This phrasing--not just any rule, or a
supposed rule, but a *certain* rule--suggests strongly to me that the Rule
is already known to the one drawing the abductive inference.