Jon S, List,

Jon concluded:

 I wonder if I am simply looking at all of this from a different
perspective than your "vectorial" analysis--which, by the way, I value
greatly for having helped me sort out my concept of the "logic of
ingenuity" in engineering (1ns/3ns/2ns).

Well, I'm certainly pleased that vectorial analysis has proved helpful to
you in developing your "logic of ingenuity" in engineering, your recent
series of articles on the topic being very solid work indeed in my opinion.

I offered a 'variation' on the bean example because of a point I'd recently
made regarding the importance I give to a kind of abduction where the law
(rule) is *not* known, where the hypothesis is concerned with positing
a *hitherto
unknown law*. Perhaps the bean example doesn't work very well for that
purpose, but I will stick with my vectorial analysis for abduction, or
perhaps, retroduction: that one forms the abduction of the new law
all-at-once-together out of the storehouse of ones knowledge of the issue
which only the testing of it will show as confomring to reality or not.

I'm afraid that I am not able to grasp the analysis in the penultimate
paragraph of your message. But, again, your response may be the result of
my trying to generalize Peirce's vectorial order for abduction from the
bean example which, admittedly, is explicitly concerned with the kind of
'sleuthing' abduction (whereas the rule *is* already knowns) I referred to
in an earlier post. Perhaps that stretches the bean example further than it
ought to be taken. But did I present a kind of induction in my recent
analysis? I don't think so. It's just not the kind of abduction the bean
example was divised to illustrate, thus, my 'variation'.

But, be that as it may, I think I've said all I have to say on the topic
for now. Thanks for reading through my extended analysis which, I hope, at
least put some light on the 6 vectors themselves, whether or not they apply
to all inference patterns neatly or not.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*