Gary R., List:

GR:  At the moment I am imagining that they might have a rather direct
bearing on the psychology of inquiry ("a feeling of surprise;" "a feeling
of satisfaction").

Does "feeling," understood in this context as a manifestation of
Firstness, entail psychology?  Of course, Peirce was very concerned about
NOT grounding any aspect of logic in psychology or any other special
science.

I am also wondering if there is a parallel way to describe deduction.
Maybe something along these lines?

The middle phase of inquiry is deduction, which occurs when a proposed
belief-habit (3ns) is NOT confounded by any acts of imagination (2ns),
which produces a feeling of suspicion (1ns).

I am not entirely satisfied with this yet, but the idea is that the
initial "testing" is virtual, rather than actual; e.g., manipulation of
diagrams and observation of the results.  The Secondness aspect is thus an
"inward clash," rather than the "Outward Clash" as described by Peirce,
which pertains to the induction phase.  Suspicion here alludes to CP
5.189--"Hence, there is reason to suspect that A is true."