Ben - I don't think that you  should 'assume that any of us is 'right' in our
interpretations of Peirce. You'll have to come to your own conclusions. BUT -
there is a great difference in our interpretations - of that, there is no doubt.

I see Peircean semiosis as necessarily interactional; there is no such thing as
a Sign [the triad] or even the Relations, as an isolate 'thing-in-itself'.
Signs exist only within interaction. And, I see the categories as the
method-of-organization of matter/concepts. And, as noted, this organization
takes place within interactions.

Therefore, in differentiation from Jon, for example, I don't see Firstness as
having any isolational reality. ALL of the three categorical modes funcion only
within the interactional dynamics that is semiosis.

My interpretation, as I said, is that an interaction [which is itself a
Relation or a triadic Sign] can function in a mode of Firstness - which is to
say, it is a qualitative feeling in that instant of the interaction. The brute
or immediate reaction to this stimuli is in a mode of Secondness. The habitual
reaction that might guide this first brute reaction and decision of 'what to
do'  would be in a mode of Thirdness.

As for the other questions on God's reality - as an atheist - I'll stay out of
that. Plus, no-one has yet defined 'God'...and I think that would have to be a
basic first step in discussing any 'reality'. And if one moves into nominalism
- as the Anselm conceptualism seems to do - well...that's not going into
reality!

Edwina