Edwina, List:

Apparently we disagree once more, and I will try to be more careful going
forward about how I express my interpretation of Peirce.   My understanding
is that he classified anything "singular," any *event *that happens or
occurs, as Secondness; and that he considered any "interaction" to be
Secondness,
because it entails (at least) two subjects reacting with each other.
Again, Firstness is that which is as it is, independent of anything else.
An extended excerpt from "The Logic of Mathematics:  An Attempt to Develop
My Categories from Within" (1896) is pertinent here.

CSP:  We remark among phenomena three categories of elements.

The first comprises the qualities of phenomena, such as red, bitter,
tedious, hard, heartrending, noble; and there are doubtless manifold
varieties utterly unknown to us ... It is sufficient that wherever there is
a phenomenon there is a quality; so that it might almost seem that there is
nothing else in phenomena.  The qualities merge into one another.  They
have no perfect identities, but only likenesses, or partial identities.
Some of them, as the colors and the musical sounds, form well-understood
systems.  Probably, were our experience of them not so fragmentary, there
would be no abrupt demarcations between them, at all.  Still, each one is
what it is in itself without help from the others. They are single but
partial determinations.

The second category of elements of phenomena comprises the actual facts.
The qualities, in so far as they are general, are somewhat vague and
potential.  But an occurrence is perfectly individual.  It happens here and
now.  A permanent fact is less purely individual; yet so far as it is
actual, its permanence and generality only consist in its being there at
every individual instant.  Qualities are concerned in facts but they do not
make up facts.  Facts also concern subjects which are material substances.
We do not see them as we see qualities, that is, they are not in the very
potentiality and essence of sense.  But we feel facts resist our will.
That is why facts are proverbially called brutal.  Now mere qualities do
not resist.  It is the matter that resists.  Even in actual sensation there
is a reaction.  Now mere qualities, unmaterialized, cannot actually react
... All that I here insist upon is that quality is one element of
phenomena, and fact, action, actuality is another.  We shall undertake the
analysis of their natures below.

The third category of elements of phenomena consists of what we call laws
when we contemplate them from the outside only, but which when we see both
sides of the shield we call thoughts.  Thoughts are neither qualities nor
facts.  They are not qualities because they can be produced and grow, while
a quality is eternal, independent of time and of any realization ... A
thought then is not a quality.  No more is it a fact.  For a thought is
general.  I had it.  I imparted it to you.  It is general on that side.  It
is also general in referring to all possible things, and not merely to
those which happen to exist.  No collection of facts can constitute a law;
for the law goes beyond any accomplished facts and determines how facts
that *may be*, but *all *of which never can have happened, shall be
characterized.  There is no objection to saying that a law is a general
fact, provided it be understood that the general has an admixture of
potentiality in it, so that no congeries of actions here and now can ever
make a general fact.  As *general*, the law, or general fact, concerns the
potential world of quality, while as *fact*, it concerns the actual world
of actuality.  Just as action requires a peculiar kind of subject, matter,
which is foreign to mere quality, so law requires a peculiar kind of
subject, the thought, or, as the phrase in this connection is, the mind, as
a peculiar kind of subject foreign to mere individual action. Law, then, is
something as remote from both quality and action as these are remote from
one another. (CP 1.418-420)

This is also another example of where I see Peirce rather explicitly
associating all thought(s) with Thirdness.