Edwina, List:

ET:  I don't think that you  should 'assume that any of us is 'right' in
our interpretations of Peirce. You'll have to come to your own conclusions.
BUT - there is a great difference in our interpretations - of that, there
is no doubt.

I agree that no one should *assume *that one of us is right here.  Peirce,
even more so than many other philosophers, seems to require the hard work
of doing your own thinking in response to his writings.  The NA, in
particular, is something that he specifically said could not be directly
argued or explained to someone, only described to and then experienced by
someone.

ET:  I see Peircean semiosis as necessarily interactional; there is no such
thing as a Sign [the triad] or even the Relations, as an isolate
'thing-in-itself'. Signs exist only within interaction. And, I see the
categories as the method-of-organization of matter/concepts. And, as noted,
this organization takes place within interactions.

These comments highlight what seem to be our three most fundamental points
of disagreement.  My very different understanding of Peirce's views is as
follows.

   - While signs indeed "*exist *only within interaction" (Secondness),
   both Qualisigns (Firstness) and Legisigns (Thirdness) have *Being *that
   is independent of any interaction; i.e., they are *Real *apart from
   actually being instantiated as Sinsigns.
   - Both "sign" and "Sign" refer to a tradic representamen that *has
*relations
   with its object and interpretant, rather than the capitalized word
   referring instead to a triad that *includes* the representamen, object,
   and interpretant, along with all of the relations among them.
   - The categories are three distinct "Universes of Experience"--aspects
   of phenomena that we distinguish when we analyze the Phaneron, which is
   whatever is present to any mind at any time--rather than "the
   method-of-organization of matter/concepts."

Your notions strike me as going beyond anything that Peirce himself wrote,
which (in my opinion) makes it challenging to maintain clarity about how we
are using the terms.

ET:  Plus, no-one has yet defined 'God'...and I think that would have to be
a basic first step in discussing any 'reality'.

Presumably we should start with Peirce's definitions in "A Neglected
Argument" as published, and one of its drafts.

CSP:  The word "God," so "capitalized" (as we Americans say), is the
definable proper name, signifying *Ens necessarium*; in my belief Really
creator of all three Universes of Experience. (CP 6.452)

CSP:  The first proposition of Natural Theology:  what single other subject
has been worn so threadbare!  Moreover, whoever, from prelate to ploughboy,
has deeply pondered the matter is, I suppose, familiar with the chain of
thought which this paper is to consider, and which it will be convenient to
designate as "the neglected argument."  Indeed, meaning by "God," as
throughout this paper will be meant, the Being whose Attributes are, in the
main, those usually ascribed to Him, Omniscience, Omnipotence, Infinite
Benignity, a Being *not *"immanent in" the Universes of Matter, Mind, and
Ideas, but the Sole Creator of every content of them, without
exception,—when we consider how much an assurance of His Reality would help
men to govern their conduct by the best attainable lights, how can we
refrain from expecting of His Benignity, in case He really is, that we
shall find some sound reason to believe in Him that is open to every human
mind, high and low?  Now if such reason there be, it will be for the reader
to judge, after he has learned what "the neglected argument" is, whether
such sound reason can be any other than "the neglected argument." (R 843)

Note also Peirce's designations here for the three Universes--Matter
(Secondness), Mind (Thirdness), and Ideas (Firstness).

CSP:  But I do not, by 'God,' mean, with some writers, a being so
inscrutable that nothing at all can be known of Him.  I suppose most of our
knowledge of Him must be by similitudes.  Thus, He is so much like a mind,
and so little like a singular Existent (meaning by an Existent, or object
that Exists, a thing subject to brute constraints, and reacting with all
other Existents,) and so opposed in His Nature to an ideal possibility,
that we may loosely say that He is a Spirit, or Mind. (R 843)

Presumably this is why Peirce, in the published (second) additament,
referred to the NA as "that course of meditation upon the three Universes
which gives birth to the hypothesis and ultimately to the belief that they,
or at any rate two of the three, have a Creator independent of them" (CP
6.483).  Since God may be loosely characterized as a Mind, that Universe
(Thirdness) is in some sense primoridal relative to the other two.