Dear Jon:

There are several issues floating around.

1. Example of firstness, secondness, thirdness

You disagree with my example, as well as its amendment, but give a
definition of secondness that, unfortunately, does not compute for me.  I
assume you are right, but you may be at a level of abstraction that is way
above my pay grade, as it were.

In any event, I suggest that you think, at least in relation to me, on a
pedagogical level, i.e., teaching at the level of the student. For example,
in physics, I am told, introductory courses still begin with the old idea
of the atom with planet-like things called electrons whirling around a
nucleus--even though in more advanced courses in quantum physics these
rudimentary examples will be shown to be quite inaccurate. Nevertheless,
once a clear, simple, and elementary example is implanted, it is far easier
to correct an elementary example later by adding complicating factors, than
to insist on the most complications at the beginning, because the latter
will likely prevent the student from ever grasping the concept. In other
words, start simple.

There is an old saying that wherever you have two philosophers together,
there are at least three opinions. In this regard, I am honored that Edwina
agrees with my example. Thank you, Edwina, for chiming in. You make things
much more lively.

2. Original thread topic

Moving on, there is another issue raised in Jon's email of 11:18 yesterday.
First, he thanks me for "steer(ing) the  the discussion back to the
original thread topic". The original thread topic listed four questions
that needed to be addressed:

   1. To what specifically was Peirce referring here as "a theory of the
   nature of thinking"--the three stages of a "complete inquiry" and their
   "logical validity," as laid out in sections III and IV of the paper, or
   something else?
   2. How exactly is "this theory of thinking" *logically *connected with
   "the hypothesis of God's reality"?
   3. What would be some "experiential consequences of this theory of
   thinking" that we could, with comparatively little difficulty, deductively
   trace and inductively test?
   4. What exactly would it mean to "prove" Peirce's "theory of the nature
   of thinking," such that "the hypothesis of God's reality" would thereby
   also be "proved.

My suggestion was that the best way to answer the question posed in #1, is
to begin with the questions posed in #2, #3, and #4.

In his most recent email, however, Jon disagrees, writing,

I am not asking about the NA itself; I am asking about the "theory of the
nature of thinking" that Peirce does not clearly identify, but claims is
logically connected with "the hypothesis of God's Reality" in such a way
that a proof of the former would also constitute a proof of the latter.

Now, I appreciate Jon's desire to attack the problem of the Peirce's theory
of thinking frontally, but sometimes the best way to attack it is to go
around it, i.e., search out a weakness in the flanks or rear (to use a
military analogy). Such an opening is suggested in the very quotation from
Peirce that Jon offers, where Peirce says: "the hypothesis of God's Reality
is logically not so isolated a conclusion as it may seem."

Further, Jom summarizes Bowman as pointing out that Peirce "acknowledged
that the retroductive conjecture of the Reality of God is unlike a typical
*scientific *hypothesis--it is not amenable to deductive explication and
inductive corroboration.  Peirce proposed the alternative of going through
those steps with his "theory of the nature of thinking" instead, because
"the hypothesis of God's Reality is logically ... connected so with" this
theory that "proving" the latter would suffice to "prove" the former."

Now, while Peirce says that if we prove the theory of thinking, then the
proof of God's reality is sufficiently proved, the search Jon wants to
conduct is to find the theory of thinking. If that is what we don't know,
then its connection to the hypothesis of God's reality would seem to be the
place to begin. In other words, we need to think backward from the
hypothesis of God's reality to discover the theory of thinking that proves
it

Syllogism:
The fact that Peirce states that a theory of the nature of
thinking will .prove the hypothesis of God's reality is a surprising fact.
But if we knew what would (or would be required to) prove God's Reality, we
would understand (or at least have an example of) the theory of the nature
of thinking.
Therefore, the thing to investigate is the hypothesis of God's reality.

Which, by the way, is exactly the course that Peirce takes by suggesting a
theory of the nature of thinking in a work called A or The "Neglected
Argument for the Reality of God."

So, I suggest that we all help Jon in his quest to discover Peirce's
theory of the nature of thinking, by following both the logic dictated by
the situation, and and by following Peirce's example of tying it to an
understanding of what it may take to prove the hypothesis of God's Reality.

Let me just add one--kind of--snarky remark. If we were to follow this
course with any degree of success, we would undoubtedly have to engage with
other disciplines and lines of thought, and could possibly even make some
contribution to the thought of other thinkers, philosophers, and
disciplines. Heaven forfend!

I hope you all enjoy the humor in that...

Ben

*Ben Novak <http://bennovak.net>*
5129 Taylor Drive, Ave Maria, FL 34142
Telephone: (814) 808-5702

*"All art is mortal, **not merely the individual artifacts, but the arts
themselves.* *One day the last portrait of Rembrandt* *and the last bar of
Mozart will have ceased to be—**though possibly a colored canvas and a
sheet of notes may remain—**because the last eye and the last ear
accessible to their message **will have gone." *Oswald Spengler