Ben - I think you are correct in your example and definition of Firstness and
Secondness. That is, the sound/shock wave that you  feel in your body IS an
example of Firstness. As Peirce writes, this is a STATE, not a reaction [which
would be Secondness].

"A feeling, then, is not an event, a happening, a coming to pass....a feeling
is a state, which is in its entirety in every moment of time as long as it
endures". 1.307.

Think of Firstness as a STATE, a singular experience, a whole feeling.
Firstness is a state that affects another body, so to speak. It is not just the
sound/shock wave isolate from interaction but is instead the interaction of
that sound/shockwave with another. That interaction, which is a qualitative
state, is Firstness. Remember, Peircean semiosis requires a network, an
interaction; nothing is isolate-in-itself.

Secondness develops when the other part of the interaction reacts. So,
Secondness, just as you point out, is your body's flinching or other reaction.

All of this is part of the process of Mind. Again, as Peirce writes "Every
operation of the mind, however complex, has its absolutely simple feeling, the
emotion of the tout ensemble" 1.311.

This points to, again, the fact that Firstness is not an isolate state but an
interactional state.

Edwina