Jeff, List:

JD:  I don't detect any impatience ...

Thanks for understanding.  I need to take some time to digest your two
posts from this evening, but I want to respond to one item right away.

JD:   I was under the impression that you are interested in questions about
the universes and categories because you want to dig deeper into Peirce's
 claim in "The Neglected Argument" that God is creator of all three
universes of experience. Let me know if I am mistaken about your aims and
motivations.

I suppose that is one of my "aims and motivations," but it is not really
the primary one at the moment, since God as Creator is uncontroversial for
me personally.  I am mainly trying to figure out whether, for Peirce, (a)
Universes and Categories are basically the same thing; (b) Universes are a
specific manifestation of the Categories in phaneroscopy and/or
metaphysics; (c) Universes and Categories are two distinct things, and if
so, on what basis; or (d) none of the above.  There seems to be some
evidence that Peirce may have stopped talking about Categories in favor of
Universes late in his life; I want to know whether that is really the case,
and if so, what significance we should attribute to this.

Regards,

Jon