  From: Jon Alan Schmidt
  To: Edwina Taborsky
  Cc: Jeffrey Brian Downard ; Peirce-L
  Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2016 12:00 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce's Logical Universes and Categories

  Edwina, Jeff, List:

  This highlights one of my strong initial misgivings about Jeff's posts from
last night.  I do not see it as valid at all to substitute "the Mind-like
Reasonableness in Nature" for "God" as Ens necessarium.  As I have pointed out
before, Peirce made it very clear in the manuscript drafts for "A Neglected
Argument" that what he meant by "God" is not someone or something that is
"immanent in Nature."  I have also previously noted the distinction between
"self-organization" (of that which already has Being), which is perfectly
plausible and even evident in the world today, and "self-creation" or
"self-generation" (something coming into Being on its own out of nothing),
which I find completely implausible.