Edwina, List:

ET:  The universe is, after all, a physico-chemical existentiality, as
Helmut points out.

And this is a matter of fact, which therefore (according to Peirce) calls
for an explanation.  Why is there (now) something, rather than (still)
nothing?

ET:  It is almost impossible to discover what 'existed' before this
physico-chemical existentiality.

I am genuinely curious--why do you characterize it as *almost* impossible,
rather than just plain impossible?

ET:  To suggest, as many have done, a metaphysical non-existential creator
[God] is pure rhetoric. You either believe it or don't believe it. There is
no proof - logical or empirical.

The long history of philosophical arguments for the existence/reality of
God indicates otherwise.  You may not find any of these "proofs"
convincing, but that does not entail that they are "pure rhetoric," nor
that one's belief or disbelief in God is merely an arbitrary resolution of
the will, and thus purely a manifestation of tenacity and/or authority.  I
have *reasons *for believing that God is real, as did Peirce; and you
presumably have *reasons *for believing that God is *not *real.  We can
discuss those reasons, even if we never end up agreeing on which position
is more rationally justified.

ET:  I don't see that we can discuss what went on before this
physico-chemical existence of the Universe ...

Well, we have been doing exactly that in this thread and others, mainly
because Peirce did it quite a bit throughout his writings.  There is always
a certain amount of speculation involved, to be sure, but the point of any
cosmological/transcendental argument--whether positing God, a multi-verse,
or some other explanation--is to identify what was necessary for "this
physico-chemical existence of the Universe" to come about in the first
place, and to exhibit the degree of order and reasonableness that it does.

CSP:  But twenty years later, if you aspired to pass for a commanding
intellect, you would have to pull a long face and declare that "It is not
the business of science to search for origins."  This maxim was a
masterpiece, since no timid soul, in dread of being thought naive, would
dare inquire what "origins" were, albeit the secret confessor within his
breast compelled the awful self-acknowledgment of his having no idea into
what else than "origins" of phenomena (in some sense of that indefinite
word) man can inquire. (CP 6.460)