.Jon, list,

Jon, I don't think that there's a need for you to apologize, especially as
this may simply be a matter of semantics (or an unfortunate phraseology, or
my lacking a subtle sense of humor, etc.)

You wrote: "Peirce had a tendency, especially late in his life, to label* any
philosophical stance with which he disagreed as "nominalistic*"  (emphasis
added). Then in your response to my questioning this statement wrote: "My
sincere apologies--I thought that it was an obvious exaggeration, and it
was supposed to be mildly humorous, but I did a poor job of conveying that.
I certainly did not intend to mislead anyone."

I'm sorry if I didn't catch your humor and didn't see your remark as "an
obvious exaggeration;" while I must add that your apology seems a bit
strained since you followed the just quoted comment with this
qualification/explanation:

JS: I loosely had in mind CP 1.19 (1903), where Peirce characterized
Descartes, Locke, Berkeley, Hartley, Hume, Reid, Leibniz, Remusat, Kant,
and Hegel as nominalists, and "all modern philosophy of every sect" as
nominalistic.  I also read somewhere recently the general suggestion that
as Peirce's scholastic realism became more and more extreme, he described
more and more philosophers and/or philosophical views as nominalistic;
unfortunately, I cannot seem to find that comment at the moment.  Of
course, at different times he wrote that even Duns Scotus (CP 8.208; c.
1905) and his younger self (CP 6.270; 1892) were "too nominalistic."

In response I'd say that it is true that, as Peirce's own realism deepened
in the late 19th, early 20th century into an 'extreme scholastic realism'
that, as you noted, even his own earlier analyses of realism are revised in
the light of it (consider the famous revision of the diamond thought
experiment, for famous example). But it is not true in my view that he
deemed other philosophical stances and philosophers as nominalistic
*because* "he disagreed" with their views. Indeed, he draws philosophically
a little or a lot from most all of them, including Leibniz, Kant, Hegel,
etc.

It seems to me that Peirce held the realistism/nominalism problem to be of
considerable importance, perhaps even decisive in the history and potential
progress of philosophy. It it this nominalistic *facet* of any--and you
seem to be suggesting, perhaps, all--philosophers' work, again including
his own, which he found problematic *in the extreme*.

So the long and short of my criticism of your stated position is just this:
To suggest that Peirce called philosophers "nominalists" *just because he
disagreed with them* is not only incorrect, but tends to make him sound
petty which, in my opinion, he most certainly was not. This is what in your
remarks I thought might tend to mislead.

I might add that I think his assessment in this matter was correct and,
further, that this strong nominalistic tendency in philosophy and science
continues to this day.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]