Jon, you’re having a busy day here!

I see where you’re coming from now, but I can’t go there myself because that
would deny the reality of Secondness (or else deny that a relation of
Secondness can subsist between a sign and its object).

I think our problem may be that we’re not using the term “general” in the same
way. I’m trying to observe what Peirce calls “the proper distinction between
the two kinds of indeterminacy, viz.: indefiniteness and generality, of which
the former consists in the sign's not sufficiently expressing itself to allow
of an indubitable determinate interpretation, while the latter turns over to
the interpreter the right to complete the determination as he pleases”
(EP2:394). He “completes the determination” by selecting an individual from the
universe of discourse defined by the general term, and that individual is the
dynamic object of the sign.

We may also be using the term “collective” differently. In Peirce’s letter to
Welby (CP 8:366) a “collective” is a kind of sign, one whose dynamic object is
a collection. Obviously your usage comes from somewhere else.

Anyway I’m out of time for a day or two …

Gary f.