Gary F., List:

Yes, not getting a lot of work done today; just enough to stay out of
trouble.

I certainly do not intend to "deny the reality of 2ns" or to "deny that a
relation of 2ns can subsist between a sign and its object," so I would like
to understand why you see that as an implication of what I have said so
far.  The latter would just be an index, right?  In that case, the
sign-object relation is an Existent, but the sign itself could still be a
Necessitant (legisign/type), in which case the object would also have to be
a Necessitant.  The question remains whether a concept can be a
qualisign/mark or a sinsign/token; I do not believe so.  Again, do you
think otherwise?

Your usage of "collective" is right and mine was wrong; that term properly
refers to a sign whose Dynamic Object is a Necessitant, not that object
itself.  My (corrected) understanding is that all concepts are
legisigns/types, which requires them to be collectives, such that all of
their objects are Necessitants.  This is in accordance with EP 2:481--"It
is evident that a Possible can determine nothing but a Possible; it is
equally so that a Necessitant can be determined by nothing but a
Necessitant ... the Dynamoid Object determines the Immediate Object, which
determines the Sign itself ..."

As for "general," I was not thinking specifically of the communicative
context with utterer and interpreter; I had in mind simply the opposite of
"singular," fully determinate in every conceivable respect.  Note that
Peirce sometimes uses the term for *both* kinds of indeterminacy.
 "Generality is either of that negative sort which belongs to the merely
potential, as such, and this is peculiar to the category of 1ns, or it is
of the positive kind which belongs to conditional necessity, and this is
peculiar to the category of law [3ns]" (CP 1.427; c. 1896).

Regards,

Jon