Clark, List:

CG:  I think the big break between Peirce and the nominalists is because a
general can’t be limited to any collection of actual entities.

I strongly agree with this, and just came across an interesting passage
that seems to confirm it--and also corroborates my comment to Edwina this
evening that a logical subject need not be something "existential."

CSP:  The universe of a logical subject has always hitherto been assumed to
be a discrete collection, so that the subject is an *individual *object or
occasion. But in truth a universe may be continuous, so that there is no
part of it of which every thing must be either wholly true or wholly false.
For example, it is impossible to find a part of a surface which must be all
one color. Even a point of that surface may belong indifferently to three
or more differently colored parts. But the logic of continuous universes
awaits investigation. (CP 2.339; c. 1895)

Presumably the RLT lectures a couple of years later--especially the final
one on "The Logic of Continuity"--were the results of Peirce's efforts to
undertake such an investigation.

In my limited experience, rather than collection vs. continuum, the
nominalist will want to focus on the question of how a universal/general
can be identically instantiated in multiple individuals.  Conceiving a
general as a continuum addresses this, in my mind, since no two
instantiations are truly *identical*--they are *different *actualizations,
even if only infinitesimally so, such that there are *potential *instantiations
exceeding all multitude that would be intermediate between them.