  From: Jon Alan Schmidt
  To: Edwina Taborsky
  Cc: Peirce-L
  Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:39 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Universal/General/Continuous and
Particular//Singular/Individual

  Edwina, List:

  We each call it as we see it, but you routinely toss off pejorative
labels---i.e., engage in name-calling--while I try to make a good-faith effort
to identify and address the substance of our differences.

  You think that my approach to semeiotic is somehow "reductionist,"
"mechanical," "individual," "nominalist," and "isolate."  I think that your
model treats the Sign as a single triadic entity that consists of a
Representamen, its Object and Interpretant, and their relations with each
other; in your own words, "There are three nodes/three relations acting 'as
one'."  By contrast, my model treats the Sign as a Representamen that has a
single triadic relation with its Object and Interpretant.  In logical terms,
you posit one triadic subject that includes three relations within it, while I
posit three subjects that are involved in one triadic relation (____ stands for
____ to ____).  Notice that the latter formulation is perfectly consistent with
Peirce's doctrine of valency (cf. CP 3.471, 1897; CP 5.469, 1907), as well as
how he defined "Sign" throughout his philosophical career (e.g., CP 7.355,
1873; CP 1.339, c. 1893-1895; EP 2:13, 1895; CP 2.228, 1897; CP 1.346, 1903; EP
2:544, c. 1906; EP 2:410, 1907; CP 8.343, 1908).

  As for your answer to my question--according to Peirce, it is flatly
incorrect.  For an Iconic Legisign, it is not the the Dynamic Object itself
that is in a mode of 1ns, it is the relation between the Sign and the Dynamic
Object that is in a mode of 1ns.  For a Rhematic Indexical Legisign or a Dicent
Indexical Legisign, it is not the Dynamic Object itself that is in a mode of
2ns, it is the relation between the Sign and the Dynamic Object that is in a
mode of 2ns.  This is Semeiotic 101, even if we only go by the 1903
taxonomy--three trichotomies, ten Sign classes--and Peirce's earlier writings;
so frankly I am stunned that you are making such an obvious and fundamental
mistake.

  Regards,

  Jon