On 1/26/2017 6:13 PM, Gary Richmond wrote:
the putative distinction between the semeiotic triad seen /as a single
triadic entity/ /versus/ the triad *as expressing three relations* seems
to me to one worth entertaining in considering what is really a
fundamental aspect of Peircean semeiotics.

I agree.

As an example of a "degenerate" triad, I would cite Between(x,y,z),
which can be defined as a conjunction of two dyads:

  LeftOf(x,y) & LeftOf(y,z)

These two dyads are independent of each other, in the sense that
there is no need to postulate a mediating w that relates x,y,z.

But the triad Give(x,y,z) is nondegenerate because there must be
a mediating act w:

   (Exists w)(Giver(w,x) & Gift(w,y) & Recipient(w,z))

Linguists say that all three roles are obligatory for the act
of giving.  If Sue x hands a book y to a child z, that might not
be an act of giving.  To make it clear that she's giving the book,
a sign of intention, such as "Happy Birthday", would be helpful.

A willingness to accept intentions, laws, and nominalizations as
quantifiable entities distinguishes realists from nominalists.