Jerry,

CSP did use divisions into three, so trichotomies do belong to his philosophy. Only in his latest phase he devoted himself to developing triadicity as his key concept in his theory of the Categories.

So, trichotomies of signs, such as icon, index, symbol etc. are OK. But only for the limited purposes of Secondness. For these he used a three-partite graph. (Which does not belong to the set of special marks that I can use here).

Note also, that the existential graphs (the only he developed to his full satisfaction) presents his logical graphs ONLY from the viewpoint of Secondness.

There are intermediate logical steps needed to proceed into true triadicity. I have not found a clear presentation of these steps in the now available writings of CSP.

I'll leave others to respond for their own comments.

Best,

Kirsti