Jon S, Jon A, List,

In a discussion of individuals at 3.612-3 in the Collected Papers, Peirce
points to the history of the conception as it has been used by scientists and
philosophers. He notes that the conception was worked out in the sciences of
astronomy and physics prior to Aristotle, who then provides an account for
inquiries involving the classification of different species. After that, he
makes a distinction between two logical conceptions of individuals--one drawing
on Kant's account and the other on the Stoic account--and seems to support both.

§2. INDIVIDUAL

Used in logic in two closely connected senses.

(1) According to the more formal of these an individual is an object (or term)
not only actually determinate in respect to having or wanting each general
character and not both having and wanting any, but is necessitated by its mode
of being to be so determinate. See Particular (in logic).

(2) Another definition which avoids the above difficulties is that an
individual is something which reacts. That is to say, it does react against
some things, and is of such a nature that it might react, or have reacted,
against my will.

In "The Logic of Mathematics, an attempt to develop my categories from within",
he characterizes three clauses in the general law of logic.

The general law of logic has likewise its three clauses. The monadic clause is
that fact is in its existence perfectly definite. Inquiry properly carried on
will reach some definite and fixed result or approximate indefinitely toward
that limit. Every subject is existentially determinate with respect to each
predicate. The dyadic clause is that there are two and but two possible
determinations of each subject with reference to each predicate, the
affirmative and the negative. Not only is the dyadic character manifest by the
double determination, but also by the double prescription; first that the
possibilities are two at least, and second that they are two at most. The
determination is not both affirmative and negative, but it is either one or the
other. A third limiting form of determination belongs to any subject [with
regard] to [some other] one whose mode of existence is of a lower order, [the
limiting case involving] a relative zero, related to the subjects of the
affirmation and the negation as an inconsistent hypothesis is to a consistent
one.

CP 1.485

Are each of your remarks about the conception of the individual meant to be an
interpretation of the logical conception, or are you trying to offer
suggestions about how to apply the the logical principles within metaphysics,
as he does next, or are you suggesting that conceptions you are articulating
the accounts drawn from the special sciences? I don't assume that the
conception of the individual is meant to do quite the same work in each of
these areas of inquiry.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor