Edwina, List:

I agree with your comments, but they involve a shift in the meaning of
"individual" from "singular subject" (logical/metaphysical) to "human
being" (social/political).  What I take Eric to be asking--and what has
come to interest me, as well--is whether there are other "conceivable
practical effects" (CP 5.196; 1903) that are clearly different between
these two concepts.

   - Extreme nominalism = reality consists entirely of individuals, so
   there are no real generals; just concepts/names that we use to think/talk
   about things that are similar in some way.
   - Extreme realism = reality consists entirely of generals, so there are
   no real individuals; just concepts/names that we use to think/talk about
   things that are distinct in some way.

Given Peirce's nearly lifelong crusade against all forms of nominalism, it
seems like we should be able to identify additional "conditional
experiential consequences" (CP 6.470; 1908) that sharply distinguish it
from his own "extreme scholastic realism" (CP 8.208; c. 1905).  I think you
are probably on the right track with the idea that science studies objects
in their generality, rather than their individuality.  I also keep coming
back to the related notion that nominalism accepts aspects of reality as
incognizable and laws of nature as inexplicable, thus blocking the way of
inquiry.

Regards,

Jon S.

>>> https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2015/01/20/pragmatism-about-t

>>> FS:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15800
>>> JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15817
>>> FS:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15818
>>> JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15826
>>> JC:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15832
>>> FS:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15857
>>> FS:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15858
>>>
>>> I don't see that we differ much on the question of Peirce's realism,
>>> not so much on the question of what he knew as when he knew it, maybe.
>>> I have never bought that multi-stage story of Peirce's development as
>>> much as others do. The way I read him, he started out writing technical
>>> works for audiences trained in mathematical and scientific disciplines.
>>> They may not have had quite as much mental flexibility as he assumed but
>>> their natural dispositions and practical training possessed them of that
>>> basic “scientific attitude” that I tried to thumbnail sketch recently on
>>> a not unrelated thread.  This had the effect that Peirce simply did not
>>> have to articulate a whole of lot of assumptions that were already taken
>>> for granted by his audience.  That would have been a case of “teaching
>>> grandpa to suck eggs”, as the folksy idiom goes.  As various
>>> not-so-simple
>>> twists of fate would have it, one of the big things that changed with the
>>> passing years was the increasing diversity of audiences that he
>>> addressed,
>>> and I think this accounts for a greater share of the variance in what he
>>> wrote than is widely acknowledged.  Just for instance, the acceptance of
>>> “real possibles” that makes up the bread-and-butter of probability theory
>>> and statistical inference would hardly need arguing in those early papers
>>> with the same dogged insistence it took to justify it to later audiences.
>>>
>>> o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o
>>>
>>> March 2015
>>>
>>> JA:https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2015-03/msg00099.html
>>>
>>> Because it has come up once again, let me just mention one more time
>>> why I think Peirce's theory of individuals has such a radical bearing
>>> on the whole question of nominalism vs. realism.
>>>
>>> It is a maxim of nominal(istic) thinking that we should not mistake
>>> a general name for the name of a general. But should we then turn
>>> around and mistake an individual name for the name of an individual?
>>>
>>> Peirce makes the status of being an individual relative to discourse,
>>> that is, a context of discussion or a specified universe of discourse,
>>> and so he makes individuality an interpretive attribute rather than an
>>> ontological essence.
>>>
>>> This does nothing less than subvert the very basis of the controversy
>>> between nominalism and realism by dispelling the illusion of nominal
>>> thinkers that the denotations of individual terms are necessarily
>>> any less ideal than the denotations of general terms. Whether
>>> signs are secure in their denotations has to be determined on
>>> more solid practical grounds than mere grammatical category.
>>>
>>> If I may append a self-quotation,
>>> here are a few from the turn of
>>> the millennium:
>>>
>>> http://web.archive.org/web/20030927022020/http://suo.ieee.or
>>> g/ontology/msg04332.html
>>> http://web.archive.org/web/20070705085032/http://suo.ieee.or
>>> g/ontology/thrd24.html#04332
>>> http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Mathematical_Demon
>>> stration_and_the_Doctrine_of_Individuals
>>>
>>> Additional References:
>>>
>>> http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2015/02/22/mathematical-demons
>>> tration-the-doctrine-of-individuals-1/
>>> http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2015/02/23/mathematical-demons