Jon, List,

I've been sticking to the minimal term set of “generals”
and “individuals”, partly because several years of real
and functional analysis and topology have attached other
meanings to words like “continuous” and “singular” that,
even though Peirce anticipated many aspects of them,
would divert us too much if I interjected them here.

But, more importantly, I want to avoid the illusion
that we can escape the bounds of semiotic relativity
by introducing any number of ontological distinctions.

This leaves where we always are, signing in a sign relation
as fish swim in a sea, partly aware our local environment,
dimly conscious of the vastness beyond.  In that semiotic
setting all our signs have general or plural denotations
and connotations.  It is only in relation to one another
that signs can be sorted in accord with the ways that
some of their senses subsume the senses of others.

The language of instances and instantiations can be useful here,
allowing us to express the idea that generals are constituted of
individuals but individuals are constituted of further instances.

Regards,

Jon