Dear list:

It is statements like the following that makes the whole matter of adopting
CP 5.189 and not CP 5.402 that much more baffling.

“When it comes to matters of methodology and putting the pieces in their
proper order, I support these sorts of moves.” ~Jeff

Oh well, I suppose this yet another instance where

"The reason is that these several objects are not equally obvious to us.

…so let us now discuss the method to be adopted in tracing the elements
predicated as constituting the definable form.

Now since we have shown above that attributes predicated as belonging to
the essential nature are necessary and that universals are necessary, and
since the attributes which we select as inhering in triad, or in any other
subject whose attributes we select in this way, are predicated as belonging
to its essential nature, triad will thus possess these attributes
necessarily.

Divisions according to differentiae are a useful accessory to this method.

But, in fact, the order in which the attributes are predicated does make a
difference — it matters whether we say animal-tame-biped, or
biped-animal-tame.

In establishing a definition by division one should keep three objects in

(1) the admission only of elements in the definable form,

(2) the arrangement of these in the right order,

(3) the omission of no such elements.

The right order will be achieved if the right term is assumed as primary,
and this will be ensured if the term selected is predicable of all the
others but not all they of it; since there must be one such term.

On the other hand, in so far as the One results from composition (by a
consilience of the Many), whereas they result from disintegration the Many
are more ‘elementary’ than the One, and prior to it in their nature.”
~Aristotle

Best,
Jerry R