> On Feb 6, 2017, at 5:25 PM, Jeffrey Brian Downard <jeffrey.down...@nau.edu>
> wrote:
>
> If we try to understand the differences between positions that, like Mill's,
> are more radically nominalist in orientation and those, like Peirce's, that
> are more radically realist, by focusing solely on matters of metaphysics,
> then we will find that the nominalists can say many of the things that the
> realists say--but in more limited terms that seem to presuppose less (which
> is a virtue, no doubt).

I’ll confess it’s been a while since I last studied Mill in any depth, but
going by my distant memory I’d say the bigger facet between Mill and Peirce is
vagueness. That is much of Mill’s writing presupposes that the entities in
question are present in some way to consciousness or at least to some logical
analysis. Peirce in contrast has a very significant logic of vagueness such
that some properties are indeterminate but not available to the inquirer.

This obviously problematizes Mill’s meta-ethic. My distant memory is that it
also is a problem for his epistemology. His associationism I just don’t
remember well at all so that may avoid this problem but I’d not be shocked to
discover that depends upon fully determinate parts out of which larger
knowledge is built. (My distance memory is that Mill is somewhat similar to
Husserl & Russell in therms of knowledge by acquaintance but I might be
completely wrong on that)

That’s somewhat of a tangent to your point but I raise it more to note that
there are other elements of logic/metaphysics that are pretty crucial in
distinguishing Peirce from his rough contemporaries.

In a sense the nominalist presupposes less, but there are practical
implications for what they do presuppose and often they presuppose more than
Peirce. (The common assumption of completeness that really didn’t come under
sustained attack until the mid to late 20th century is an example) I think
externalism is an other example of this. Admittedly those who allow for robust
knowledge by acquaintance can do more here. But I think that a more robust
externalism is pretty important metaphysically although that does become
significant in the more early 20th century with Sartre, Heidegger and others.
(The reemergence of pragmatism as strong position with Putnam and others also
comes to question these assumptions)

All of this is a round about way of saying I’m pretty skeptical the issue is
always realism/nominalism. I think I’d want to see a solid argument to think
it’s not dwarfed by other factors.