Yikes! My inner William James just raised an eyebrow. This is probably a
separate thread... but how did we suddenly start making claims about the
nature of other people's thoughts?

"People think, not so much in words, but in images and diagrams..." They
do? How many people's thoughts have we interrogated to determine that?

"Consciousness is inherently linguistic." It is? How much have we studied
altered states of consciousness, or even typical consciousness?

Sorry, these parts of Peirce always make me a bit twitchy. I'm quite
comfortable when he is talking about how scientists-qua-scientists think or
act, but then he makes more general statements and I get worried.

Best,
Eric

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician