Eric, list:

Here is how I understand the nature of your thought:

You consider what effects, that might conceivably have practical bearings,
you conceive the object of claiming about the nature of other people’s
thoughts to have.  Then your conception of these effects, which makes you
raise your eyebrow and get twitchy, is the whole of your conception of the
object.

And so, now what?  What does the Jamesian maxim and not Peircean recommend?

For a Peircean would recognize that some “perversity of thought of whole
generations may cause the postponement of the ultimate fixation”.

~*What Pragmatism Is  *

“Nevertheless in the nature of the case the essential elements of
demonstration are three: the subject, the attributes, and the basic
premisses.

I say ‘must believe’, because *all syllogism*, and therefore a fortiori
demonstration, *is* *addressed* *not to the spoken word, but to the
discourse within the soul*, and though we can always raise objections to
the spoken word, to the inward discourse we cannot always object.

That which is capable of proof but assumed by the teacher without proof is,
if the pupil believes and accepts it, hypothesis, though only in a limited
sense hypothesis-that is, relatively to the pupil; if the pupil has no
opinion or a contrary opinion on the matter, the same assumption is an
illegitimate postulate. Therein lies the distinction between hypothesis and
illegitimate postulate: the latter is the contrary of the pupil’s opinion,
demonstrable, but assumed and used without demonstration (*Post. An*. I-10).

And therefore, “I have long ago come to be guided by this maxim: that as
long as it is practically certain that we cannot directly, nor with much
accuracy even indirectly, observe what passes in the consciousness of any
other person, while it is far from certain that we can do so (and
accurately record what [we] can even glimpse at best but very glibberly)
even in the case of what shoots through our own minds, it is much safer to
define all mental characters as far as possible in terms of their outward
manifestations.”

*~An Essay toward Reasoning in Security and Uberty*

That is,

What is C?

What is A?

What is B?