JA:https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2017-03/msg00098.html
JR:https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2017-03/msg00104.html

Jerry, List,

The key word there is “investigate”.  We can read that loosely
as any method of fixing belief, but we know that Peirce ranked
methods of fixing belief in order of their malleability to the
impressions of reality, their aptness to let what is permanent,
persistent, “something upon which our thinking has no effect”
settle the matter once and for all.

Tenacity, Authority, Plausibility, Inquiry
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2013/01/15/tenacity-authority-plausibility-inquiry/

This is the question of “convergence”, a question that mathematicians,
physicists, systems theorists, etc. have investigated in great detail.
As a rule we find that some methods of procedure, of stepping through
a sequence of states, will eventually converge on a settled or stable
state while others will not.  All that is relative, of course, to the
mathematical model or theory we have in hand for describing states of
information in time.  So we never quite escape the question of how to
tell whether a model is good and succeeds in its purpose of giving us
information about its object or whether it falls short of that object.

Regards,

Jon