> On Mar 16, 2017, at 6:44 AM, Jon Awbrey <jawb...@att.net> wrote:
>
> The key word there is “investigate”.  We can read that loosely
> as any method of fixing belief, but we know that Peirce ranked
> methods of fixing belief in order of their malleability to the
> impressions of reality, their aptness to let what is permanent,
> persistent, “something upon which our thinking has no effect”
> settle the matter once and for all.

This is where Peirce’s epistemology or perhaps more accurately different focus
on inquiry gets interesting and complex. While he focuses in on inquiry and
fixation of belief, clearly he thinks all ways to fix belief are not equal. It
would thus seem epistemology can thus be useful to the degree it gives us
stable beliefs about general principles of justification. We demonstrate those
beliefs by acting on them: i.e. disbelieving where epistemology tells us we
should.