BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 John - I like your terms and yes, Peirce has indeed used all of
them. My question is: What would you definition be of a 'sign'? You
use it often in the chart but it has no definition.

 This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
 largest alternative telecommunications provider.
 http://www.primus.ca
 On Sun 02/04/17 10:53 AM , John F Sowa s...@bestweb.net sent:
 On 4/2/2017 4:54 AM, Stephen Jarosek wrote:
 > imitation is so central that perhaps a case can be made
 > for a more accurate representation of what we really mean.
 I certainly agree.
 But I would make a distinction between Peirce's fundamental
 terminology and the open-ended variety of terms that can be
 explained in terms of the fundamentals.  I have no objection
 to using his system to define 'imitation' or any other word
 that may be useful.
 In my article "Signs and Reality", I was addressing readers
 who have been using an open-ended variety of terminology
 from several millennia of philosophy to design ontologies
 for computer systems.  I was trying to make several points:
   1. The philosophical terminology is large and growing.
      It was developed by many different authors, who often use
      the terms in diverse, sometimes inconsistent ways.
   2. The short book I cited (by David Armstrong) was addressed
      to *graduate students* in philosophy.  But most computer
      scientists who need to use ontology have little background
      in philosophy.  They would not read such a book, and they
      would not learn enough from it to use those words precisely.
   3. However, everybody who uses an applied ontology knows and
      uses some notation for logic (or a computer notation that
      has a well-defined logical foundation).
   4. As a pioneer in modern logic, Peirce developed terminology
      that is compatible with the versions of logic used for computer

      systems.  It provides a broader and more systematic foundation
      for defining the categories of applied ontologies.
   5. Therefore, my goal in that article was to extract a convenient
      subset of Peirce's terminology that could be taught to students

      who know some notation for logic, but have little or no
training
      in philosophy.
   6. My claim is that Peirce's triple trichotomy (attached table),
      together with any notation for logic that students already
      know, is sufficient for teaching a course on applied ontology.
      (Note that I replaced 5 of the terms with more familiar terms
      that Peirce used in other writings.)
 I would hope that students would continue to study more by Peirce
 and other philosophers.  But I believe that applied ontology on
 a Peircean foundation would be a more solid basis than what they
 are studying today.  See http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/signs.pdf [1] .
 John

Links:
------