On 4/2/2017 11:04 AM, Edwina Taborsky wrote:
I like your terms and yes, Peirce has indeed used all of them.
My question is:  What would your definition be of a 'sign'?
You use it often in the chart but it has no definition.

I'm glad that you approve of the choice of terms.

Re definition of sign:  I agree with all of Peirce's definitions.
He used different words and phrases on various occasions, but I
believe that they are consistent ways of expressing the fundamental
relationships.

In "Signs and Reality", I quoted one of them (CP 2.228), but it uses
the word 'person', which would exclude computers.  Later, I quoted
“Thought is not necessarily connected with a brain” (CP 4.551).
And I also believe that his term 'quasi-mind' is important for
biosemiotics and computer systems.

In short, I evaded the issue.  But I think that Peirce also evaded
the issue -- for a very good reason:  Within a particular formal
system (axioms in some version of logic), it's possible to state
necessary and sufficient conditions that cover all and every use
of a term within that system.

But the question of how or whether a particular formal theory
applies to some aspect of the real world is an empirical issue.
Nobody knows what kinds of quasi-minds might exist somewhere
in the universe.

Even within our own brains, neuroscientists are constantly
discovering unexpected features.  If a single bacterium could
be considered to have a quasi-mind, what about a single neuron
in the brain?  A single eukaryotic cell has several organelles,
derived from more primitive cells that have been "swallowed"
and incorporated into the larger cell.  Are those organelles
also "quasi-minds"?

Marvin Minsky coined the term 'Society of Mind'.  Are our brains
societies of billions of quasi-minds (neurons), each of which is
a society of even smaller quasi-minds?