John S, List,

While I very much approve of your project of making Peircean semeiotic
terminology more accessible to those unlikely to plunge into the
philosophical/semeiotic literature associated with Peirce's semeiotic, I do
have a couple of questions related to two of the terms you've chosen.

1. While 'Mark' is probably an improvement on 'Qualisign', it strikes me as
suggesting something more existential (so, relating more to 2ns than to
1ns) than an alternative term Peirce also used, namely, "Tone." Employing
'Tone' here would also provide a kind of mnemonic device since, in relation
to the Sign itself (your, 1. Material) one would have 3 'T's, namely, Tone,
Token, and Type. So the question is, why did you settle on 'Mark' rather
than 'Tone'?

2. 'Assertion' seems to me to gloss over the distinction between a
'Proposition' and an 'Assertion'. As, for example, Joe Ransdell argued,
there is a subtle difference between the two: A 'Proposition' is a
statement of which one can ask if is it true or false, while an 'Assertion"
is a statement which claims to be true.

So, "The sun is shining" is a proposition (which is not an assertion),
while if I step out of my apartment and see that "The sun is shining," the
context makes it clear that I am asserting this to be true. So, again, why
did you settle on 'Assertion' rather than 'Proposition' in your chart of 9?
(I would note that Frederik Stjernfelt in his book, *Natural Propositions*,
which was our last slow read, employs the terminology of 'Propostion' and
'Dicisign' fairly interchangably).

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]