Clark, list -

        1) You write that 'chance isn't separate from Thirdness'. I think it
is. Chance/Firstness is a basic modal category; it's not part of
Thirdness.

        2) I don't read Peirce's view as Neoplatonism ..i.e., that the
first principle is 'the One'. I see Peirce's first principle as Mind.

        Peirce does consider all three categories as universal [5.43 and
on]..and considers that they are 'simple and irreducible..and real
constituents of the universe. 5.82. He considers that all three are
each 'irreducible and unanalyzable conceptions' ..5.88. 5.91-92. That
is, Firstness can be separate from Thirdness.

        "What is required for the idea of a genuine Thirdness is an
independent solid Secondness and not a Secondness that is a mere
corollary of an unfounded and inconceivable Thirdness; and a similar
remark may be made in reference to Firstness. 5.91.

 This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
 largest alternative telecommunications provider.
 http://www.primus.ca
 On Fri 07/04/17  4:23 PM , Clark Goble cl...@lextek.com sent: